10 Thing About Being Wiccan
1) No Conversion or recruitment is necessary….. Wiccans have no insecure compulsion to convert everyone to their way of thinking. People come to Wicca when and if they are ready/interested. Furthermore, you are not required to accept or do anything you don’t feel comfortable with.
2) No artificial code of morality…. Out of all the creatures of this Earth, only humans are forced to live under moral codes. Wiccans have one code – “An it harm none, do as ye will.”
3) Progressive Reincarnation….. Wiccans believe we are here to learn lessons and progress, not suffer eternal damnation if we “slip up” in someone else’s eyes.
4) No Discrimination…. there is no such thing as being the “right” race, color, gender,sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin to be Wiccan – all are welcome! 🙂
5) No Middle man/woman….. As soon as you know the basics, you can be your own “minister” or “priest”, you need never rely upon some religious dictator for spiritual guidance, you can go straight to the source.
6) Be Yourself…. by sharing a common interest with others in Wicca, you do not lose your identity as an individual. You are unique and can and should stay that way without becoming a blob in a homogeneous mass.
7) No Repression… Wiccan are not forbidden from reading, learning, eating, drinking, or saying anything. You can actually even disagree with someone without being “excommunicated”.
8) Contribution… no! not money, but knowledge! The Craft has always and will always, be an experimental religion. If it works, we use it. Then we share it so that all in the Craft may benefit.
9) No Rigid Dogma….. Wiccan DO NOT believe that their way is the “one and only path”. The “True” path is the one that works for you. All paths are equally valid as long as they Harm None.
10) Self-Empowerment…. Wiccan allows you to truly feel your own power, if you will, and a true sense of self. You are “allowed” to be the best person that you wish to be with all the love and support that you can possibly hope for. Wicca allows you to take your hopes, dreams, and most heart’s desires and manifest them in this reality. All is possible. All is real.
Often a Book of Shadows begins with a book blessing. This poem from Silver Ravenwolf’s To Stir a Magick Cauldron reminds us of who we are and why we keep this book:
I will serve the Great Goddess and give reverence to the Great God I am Pagan a stone in the ancient circle standing firmly balanced on the earth yet open to the winds of heaven and enduring through time may the gods witness my words. Blessed Be.